Re: Buildworld fails in 5.1

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:39:53 -0700
Matt Loschert wrote:
> After grepping through the build log
> for error messages, I found the following output, which appears to be some
> sort of build loop gone wild:
>
> First this
> ----------
> Results of making rescue.cache:
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue crunchgen -q -m rescue.mk -c rescue.c rescue.conf
>

> Then the following output repeated 363 times
>
> crunchgen: make error: Remaking `crunchgen_objs'
>
> crunchgen: make error: Results of making crunchgen_objs:
>
> crunchgen: make error:
>
> crunchgen: make error: Remaking `loop'
>
> crunchgen: make error: Results of making loop:
>
> crunchgen: make error:
>

> With the following output repeated 2 times within the above output
>
> Run "make -f rescue.mk" to build crunched binary.
> *** Error code 1
> Results of making rescue.mk:
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue crunchgen -q -m rescue.mk -c rescue.c rescue.conf
>

> I suppose this means that there is a dependency missing for the rescue
> crunchgen target?

Good work, Matt.

I wrote the /rescue stuff and a lot of people have
reported that it breaks parallel builds, but I haven't yet
come up with anything.  (In part, because I haven't yet
managed to reproduce it. <sigh>)

A couple of things look odd about this:

1) You should not be building 'rescue.mk' twice.
    That could be the problem right there, if the rescue.mk
    makefile is getting rebuilt (overwritten) while another
    build thread is using it.  The dependencies in
    rescue/rescue/Makefile look right to me, but I
    could be missing something.

2) I can't find the 'crunchgen_objs' or 'loop'
    targets offhand.  I'm doing a more extensive
    find/grep search right now to see if I can figure
    out where those are coming from.

Somewhere in here is the answer to this problem,
I just don't see it yet.

Tim Kientzle

P.S.  Could you email me the log from your build
that failed?

Could you try a lower -j value?  If -j 2 fails,
for instance, that might be easier to diagnose.
Thanks for all your help.