Re: Buildworld fails in 5.1

From: Matt Loschert <loschert_at_servint.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:44:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> Matt Loschert wrote:
> > After grepping through the build log
> > for error messages, I found the following output, which appears to be some
> > sort of build loop gone wild:
> >
> > First this
> > ----------
> > Results of making rescue.cache:
> > MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue crunchgen -q -m rescue.mk -c rescue.c rescue.conf
> >

> > Then the following output repeated 363 times
> >
> > crunchgen: make error: Remaking `crunchgen_objs'
> >
> > crunchgen: make error: Results of making crunchgen_objs:
> >
> > crunchgen: make error:
> >
> > crunchgen: make error: Remaking `loop'
> >
> > crunchgen: make error: Results of making loop:
> >
> > crunchgen: make error:
> >

> > With the following output repeated 2 times within the above output
> >
> > Run "make -f rescue.mk" to build crunched binary.
> > *** Error code 1
> > Results of making rescue.mk:
> > MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue crunchgen -q -m rescue.mk -c rescue.c rescue.conf
> >

> > I suppose this means that there is a dependency missing for the rescue
> > crunchgen target?
>
> Good work, Matt.
>
> I wrote the /rescue stuff and a lot of people have
> reported that it breaks parallel builds, but I haven't yet
> come up with anything.  (In part, because I haven't yet
> managed to reproduce it. <sigh>)
>
> A couple of things look odd about this:
>
> 1) You should not be building 'rescue.mk' twice.
>     That could be the problem right there, if the rescue.mk
>     makefile is getting rebuilt (overwritten) while another
>     build thread is using it.  The dependencies in
>     rescue/rescue/Makefile look right to me, but I
>     could be missing something.
>
> 2) I can't find the 'crunchgen_objs' or 'loop'
>     targets offhand.  I'm doing a more extensive
>     find/grep search right now to see if I can figure
>     out where those are coming from.
>
> Somewhere in here is the answer to this problem,
> I just don't see it yet.
>
> Tim Kientzle
>
> P.S.  Could you email me the log from your build
> that failed?

Sure.  I have it on one of my machines at work.  I will email it to you on
Monday morning..

> Could you try a lower -j value?  If -j 2 fails,
> for instance, that might be easier to diagnose.
> Thanks for all your help.

Definitely, I will fire off a build when I get in on Monday.

Thanks,

- Matt

--
Matt Loschert - Software Engineer       | email: loschert_at_servint.com    |
ServInt Internet Services               | web:   http://www.servint.net/ |