Re: Buildworld fails in 5.1

From: Matt Loschert <loschert_at_servint.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:48:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> Tim Kientzle wrote:
> > Matt Loschert wrote:
> >> Then the following output repeated 363 times
> >> --------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> crunchgen: make error: Remaking `crunchgen_objs'
> >>
> >> crunchgen: make error: Results of making crunchgen_objs:
> >>
> >> crunchgen: make error:
> >>
> >> crunchgen: make error: Remaking `loop'
> >>
> >> crunchgen: make error: Results of making loop:
> >>
> >> crunchgen: make error:
>
> A little more information:
>
> The word 'error' here concerns me, but
> the repetition is expected.
> Crunchgen writes out and runs a short makefile
> in order to grab build information from a particular
> program.  Since /rescue has about 120 components,
> you should see 'crunchgen_objs' and 'loop' targets
> getting built about 120 times.
>
> Ummm... by '363 times', did you mean 363 lines or
> 363 copies of this six-line block?  If the latter,
> then something is definitely getting rebuilt
> needlessly.

That whole block of 6 lines is getting written 363 times.  IIRC, I grepped
for 'Results of making crunchgen_objs' in the build logs.

> Tim

Again, I will email you the full logs in the morning.  That will probably
help you more.

- Matt

--
Matt Loschert - Software Engineer       | email: loschert_at_servint.com    |
ServInt Internet Services               | web:   http://www.servint.net/ |