Re: background processes stuck in locks with ULE

From: Khairil Yusof <khairil_yusof_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 01:16:08 +0800
On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 15:09, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> The process stats are not updated properly under ULE at the moment.
> If a process takes up 60% of CPU and then sleeps, top will continue to
> show it at 60% until the next time it runs.  It does not in fact
> continue to use CPU.

In my case if I kill the process (that appears to be stuck in *Giant)
the system immediately starts to improve in performance. So it seems
that this process (usually a daemon) is still running in bg and eating
up more cycles than necessary.

Even then performance is extremely slow compared to 4BSD. However in
single user mode (with no bg processes), performance seems normal.

When I mean slow.. it means being able to read line by line as ipfw
rules are being added by a script, or an ls -l output on a large
directory.

I'm going to compile a UP kernel, and report if it makes a difference.

--
"Optimized, readable, on time; Pick any two."

FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT i386
12:55AM up 5:36, 1 user, load averages: 0.45, 0.39, 0.34