RE: where is kern.ca.da.no_6_byte?

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:40:58 +0200
Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

> > > It has been renamed:
> > > kern.cam.da.%d.minimum_cmd_size
> > >
> > > Where %d is the unit number for the da(4) device.
> >
> > Thaks a lot! Where can I find such info? I looked via cvsweb
> for scsi_da.c
> > but couldn't find anything. Is it possible to list all kernel tunables?
>
> sysctl -a. You'll probably want to pipe it's output to your favorite
> pager. "sysctl kern" will list just the entries in the kern MIB.

OIC. It's not available until the device is pluged in, which makes it
absolutely useless.
When I plug it in the machine behaves abnormal, so I need to set it BEFORE
connecting USB devices.
Why has this tunable by default a value which makes the machine unstable by
every umass I plug in which has no "qirk" entry? And if I look how many
quirks there are I assume that almost every device needs no_6byte set.
Why not make it default? Perhaps this would prevent criminal people from
intentionally crashing servers when intruding my serverroom armed with
dozends of USB devices;)

-Harry