Re: device driver memory leak in 5.1-20030726?

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_efn.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:17:58 -0700
Lukas Ertl wrote this message on Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 16:43 +0200:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Mark Blackman wrote:
>
> > Perhaps it's a USB bug. There seems to be some correspondence between
> > the use of the USB Speedtouch ADSL modem and the out-of-control
> > devbuf allocations.
>
> I'm too seeing these annoying kmem_malloc panics on recent -current
> kernels. The laptop I'm using is way off of being overloaded at all, the
> only thing I do is going online using a Bluetooth USB dongle. As soon as I
> generate some network traffic, devbuf allocations go up, until at some
> point the machine panics randomly in kmem_malloc.

I must note that the USB changes only allocates memory in the M_USB
area which is described by:
usb.c:MALLOC_DEFINE(M_USB, "USB", "USB");

So, that means it wouldn't be in the devbuf area.  (This is the one of
the points of malloc areas is to help track down stray allocations and
memory leaks).

> I have different core dumps and backtraces available, but they don't seem
> to be of much use in this case. I really suspect the USB stuff to be
> leaking.

It may be leaking, but it won't be leaking devbuf memory.  The only
thing that is in usb (in dev/usb) that uses M_DEVBUF is ukbd.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579