Re: device driver memory leak in 5.1-20030726?

From: Lukas Ertl <l.ertl_at_univie.ac.at>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 01:11:55 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Lukas Ertl wrote this message on Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 16:43 +0200:
> >
> > I'm too seeing these annoying kmem_malloc panics on recent -current
> > kernels. The laptop I'm using is way off of being overloaded at all, the
> > only thing I do is going online using a Bluetooth USB dongle. As soon as I
> > generate some network traffic, devbuf allocations go up, until at some
> > point the machine panics randomly in kmem_malloc.
>
> I must note that the USB changes only allocates memory in the M_USB
> area which is described by:
> usb.c:MALLOC_DEFINE(M_USB, "USB", "USB");
>
> So, that means it wouldn't be in the devbuf area.  (This is the one of
> the points of malloc areas is to help track down stray allocations and
> memory leaks).

Then I have no explanation.  I'm running the box with a WiFi card,
generating lots of network traffic, and the box is running fine, no
panics, and low devbuf allocation.  I'm running the box with the USB
Bluetooth dongle, generating much less traffic (it's just a 9.6kbit GSM
link), and the box panics within half an hour in kmem_malloc, with devbuf
allocation up to 74MB.  It must be either in the Bluetooth code or in the
USB code.

regards,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl_at_univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073