Re: FreeBSD 5.1-R kernel panic

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_technokratis.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:37:24 +0000
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:02:05AM -0600, Stephane Raimbault wrote:
> Hi Bosko,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion.  I am a little un-easy about upgrading my
> system from -RELEASE to -CURRENT.  Did you mean, simply upgrading the kernel
> to -CURRENT, or the entire system?

  Due to potential sync issues between userland and kernel, if you're
  going to do this, it would probably be a good idea to rebuild
  everything.  This is especially true if you're using something like
  the linuxulator, or whatever we call linux emulation these days. :-)

> I'll think of a way I can continue this testing with you so that we can make
> sure this problem is resolved.  It might take me a couple days for me to
> safeguard my data and come up with a backup plan for my system should
> upgrading to -current blows up my system :)
>
> If it's just a question of upgrading the kernel, then I can probably
> implement that sooner rather then later, so let me know if it's just the
> kernel, or the entire /usr/src system you would like me to upgrade.

  Unfortunately, unless you're ready to do some rather complicated
  manual merging, I would recommend making sure that you have backups,
  then cvsupping to latest -current, doing cd /usr/src && make
  buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel && make
  installworld && mergemaster.  Tread carefully, as always.

  Alternately, you can wait to see if the recent changes fix the same
  panic for other people who have been seeing it.

  Bonne chance. :-)

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic_at_technokratis.com  *  bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/