Re: whats an UDMA ICRC error ?

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 01:23:35 -0500
In the last episode (Jun 03), Andreas Klemm said:
> Hi,
>
> my console today shows the following error message from my disk:
>
> ad2: UDMA ICRC error cmd=read fsbn 74689079 of 74689079-74689206 retrying
> ad2: UDMA ICRC error cmd=read fsbn 74689079 of 74689079-74689206 retrying
>
> What exactly does an UDMA ICRC error mean ?
> I think this is simply a read error.
> AFAIK an IDE disk doesn't have spare sectors or am I wrong ?
> How severe is this error ? What do you think ??

An ICRC error is an error detected by the IDE controller.  It usually
means a cabling problem, as a disk error would be reported by the
drive, not the controller.  From the ATA spec:

  ICRC shall be set to one if an interface CRC error has occurred
  during an Ultra DMA data transfer.  The content of this bit is not
  applicable for Multiword DMA transfers.

There are other error bits that indicate uncorrectable media errors.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com