Re: New loader(8) plugin

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:58:08 -0300
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> Is there any real reason why loader.rc is not updated by
> default?  I'd be interested to know how many people out

It was my decision.

Before I wrote the stuff in *.4th that is used nowadays to read
loader.conf, one had to write a loader.rc script to do any kind of
special processing one wanted. Also, if anyone *does* want something
more sophisticated, like my menu that allows me to chose different extra
*.conf files, which in turn allows me to do stuff like selecting between
4.x and 5.x from inside loader instead of boot0, one has to change
loader.rc.

We standard loader.rc does provide for flexibility in the following ways:

1) User may change /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local, while
"we" may change /boot/defaults/loader.conf.

2) User may change /boot/loader.rc as he deems fit, while "we" may
change loader.4th and support.4th to add features.

Granted, the general overlay of loader.rc does restrict somewhat what
features we can introduce.

To my mind, however, it is possible to introduce Scott's beastie menu by
making changes to loader.4th. In particular, we could change "start" in
loader.4th, and, if we *really* feel like it is needed, copy the old
version to some other word (old-start, non-beastie-start, whatever :).

Also, if we do go that way, I'd like, for source style reasons, to have
Scott's script changed not to use evaluate. :-)

> there have it tweaked.  Right now, when upgrading, this
> file is not updated with a fresh copy.
>
> Perhaps, it would make sense to always install it as
> /boot/loader.rc.default or /boot/loader.rc.freebsd,
> at the minimum?  What do you think?

That is a very good idea though it might be misleading -- default seems
like something we would do if nothing else takes precedence -- but we
could change loader so. The name loader.rc.freebsd is not misleading,
but it isn't particularly leading either :-). I'd prefer
loader.rc.sample in this particular case.

Another idea is getting the md5 of the present version, and then having
the installation procedure overwrite any present file if it has the same
md5.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs_at_newsguy.com
	dcs_at_freebsd.org
	capo_at_notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

Ingrate, n.:
	A man who bites the hand that feeds him, and then complains of
indigestion.