Re: 5.1-RELEASE TODO

From: Tom Samplonius <tom_at_sdf.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:12:43 -0700 (PDT)
  I guess I'm not the only one with hardware that is unusable with FreeBSD
5.x, but FreeBSD 5.x simply is not installable on Dell PowerEdge 6350
servers.  FreeBSD 4.8 works fine on the same hardware.  FreeBSD 5.0,
5.1-BETA1, 5.1-BETA2, and 5.1-RC1 all die in sysinstall is detecting
hardware and drop the machine into the kernel debugger.  It also kills the
display, making it tough to catch.  I've tried with ACPI off.  Same
result.

  I've submitted a PR (#52561), about this problem.  I've updated it
recently as I now know the exact point it dies.  Since FreeBSD is also
killing the video display, it was initially hard to see.

  Is there is any more information that anyone needs?  I wanted to use
5.1-RELEASE on these machines, but I assume now that 5.1-RELEASE will have
this bug too.

Tom