Re: 5.1-RELEASE TODO

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:55:15 -0400 (EDT)
On 07-Jun-2003 Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   I guess I'm not the only one with hardware that is unusable with FreeBSD
> 5.x, but FreeBSD 5.x simply is not installable on Dell PowerEdge 6350
> servers.  FreeBSD 4.8 works fine on the same hardware.  FreeBSD 5.0,
> 5.1-BETA1, 5.1-BETA2, and 5.1-RC1 all die in sysinstall is detecting
> hardware and drop the machine into the kernel debugger.  It also kills the
> display, making it tough to catch.  I've tried with ACPI off.  Same
> result.
>
>   I've submitted a PR (#52561), about this problem.  I've updated it
> recently as I now know the exact point it dies.  Since FreeBSD is also
> killing the video display, it was initially hard to see.
>
>   Is there is any more information that anyone needs?  I wanted to use
> 5.1-RELEASE on these machines, but I assume now that 5.1-RELEASE will have
> this bug too.

Can you hook up a serial console and try again?  When the loader does
the 10 second countdown, hit space and type 'set console=comconsole'.
This will give you a 9600N81 console on COM1 (sio0).  Type 'boot' at
the OK prompt and you should be able to get the panic mesage.  If you
can boot a kernel with ddb and get a trace that would be most helpful.