Re: New Kernel Breaks IPFW

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:32:55 -0300
John Stockdale wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just cvsup'd my src today and was going to buildworld later tonight
> but when I installed the newly built kernel with IPFIREWALL etc. and
> rebooted, ipfw fell over, specifically, even after ipfw firewall enable,
> an ipfw show resulted in a core dump. If its useful, I can post the ipfw
> core dump.
>
> Any ideas why this is?

Probably because the ABI between ipfw(8) and it's kernel counterpart has
changed. Since you failed to follow the safe path of upgrade
(mergemaster -p, builworld, buildkernel, installkernel, reboot -s (fall
back in case of problems), mount fs and installkernel, mergemaster),
this sort of things can happen.

Granted, that rather laborious process is usually unnecessary. I,
myself, often use only buildworld, kernel, installworld, mergemaster and
then reboot. And, of course, I'm fully prepared to take Murphy's Revenge
upon my shoulder if these simple steps fail to yield a working system (a
broken kernel, for instance, with a new world incompatible with the
previous kernel).

Short term, cd /usr/src/sbin/ipfw; make depend && make all install ought
to fix it.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs_at_newsguy.com
	dcs_at_freebsd.org
	capo_at_notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

Endless the world's turn, endless the sun's spinning
Endless the quest;
I turn again, back to my own beginning,
And here, find rest.