Re: New Kernel Breaks IPFW

From: Ian Freislich <ianf_at_za.uu.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:12:10 +0200
"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> John Stockdale wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I just cvsup'd my src today and was going to buildworld later tonight
> > but when I installed the newly built kernel with IPFIREWALL etc. and
> > rebooted, ipfw fell over, specifically, even after ipfw firewall enable,
> > an ipfw show resulted in a core dump. If its useful, I can post the ipfw
> > core dump.
> >
> > Any ideas why this is?
>
> Probably because the ABI between ipfw(8) and it's kernel counterpart has
> changed. Since you failed to follow the safe path of upgrade
> (mergemaster -p, builworld, buildkernel, installkernel, reboot -s (fall
> back in case of problems), mount fs and installkernel, mergemaster),
> this sort of things can happen.

Alas make buildworld fails for the past few days:
===> usr.sbin/config
<snip>
In file included from config.c:1:
/usr/include/stdlib.h:102: conflicting types for `restrict'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:102: previous declaration of `restrict'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:102: warning: redundant redeclaration of `restrict' in same scope
/usr/include/stdlib.h:102: warning: previous declaration of `restrict'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:103: conflicting types for `restrict'
<snip>
(and also stdio.h, string.h, sys/types.h, select.h)

Someone posted a link to the failure that I get, so I'll crib:
http://www.0xfce3.net/error.txt

> Granted, that rather laborious process is usually unnecessary. I,
> myself, often use only buildworld, kernel, installworld, mergemaster and
> then reboot. And, of course, I'm fully prepared to take Murphy's Revenge
> upon my shoulder if these simple steps fail to yield a working system (a
> broken kernel, for instance, with a new world incompatible with the
> previous kernel).
>
> Short term, cd /usr/src/sbin/ipfw; make depend && make all install ought
> to fix it.

I tried that as well, but the new binary also dumps core, but works
well with previous versions of the firewall.  Even back as far as
my kernel.working from May 7 2003.