Re: kernel: lnc0: Missed packet -- no reviece buffer QWE

From: Paul Richards <paul_at_freebsd-services.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:40:16 +0100
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 03:39:33PM +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
> I get this all the time on my FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE system, which is a P75 with a
> lnc NIC.  The man page does say this driver is one of the more verbose ones,
> and I think the message about no recieve buffer is just that the system cannot
> keep up with the incoming data, and so there is no buffer left.   Certainly
> on my system doing NAT across lnc0 and sis0, the system uses 30-40% CPU just
> to act as a router!  I still get 600KB/s through it, which I have heard is
> fairly reasonable from a 10Mbit ISA network card.

That is what the error message means. However, the driver was able to
handle 900k-1M load on a 486 when I wrote without maxing out the cpu so
there's something wrong somewhere. It might be the sis driver though, I
don't know much about that but I've not heard good things about them.
The lance does most of it's work on the chip so all that the CPU
does is copy the buffers into an mbuf, which shouldn't put much load on
the cpu.

Is it possible for you to do some testing on that box by disabling each
interface in turn and doing some load testing on each individually?

--
Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, wiser still to know when
it has been achieved and wisest of all to know when it is unachievable