Re: kernel: lnc0: Missed packet -- no reviece buffer QWE

From: Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:39:33 +0100
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:51:02PM +1000, Anthony Wyatt wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>     I'm in the process of hand building a FreeBSD 5.1 CURRENT #2 box.  I now have a booting system that I can log onto and use, but my network interface does not work :-(
>
>     I get lots of:
> kernel: lnc0: Missed packet -- no recieve buffer
>
>     and the occasional
> kernel: lnc0: Device timeout -- resetting
>
>     I really don't know what to look for, however there are a couple of things that may be related:
>
> 1) I have no swap
> 2) I have not configured anything in particular in /etc, just copied it from my build tree and added a fstab
> 3) /bin /boot /sbin and /usr are all RO
>
>     I'm sure its probably under my nose, but I need someone to point out what it is :-)

I get this all the time on my FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE system, which is a P75 with a
lnc NIC.  The man page does say this driver is one of the more verbose ones,
and I think the message about no recieve buffer is just that the system cannot
keep up with the incoming data, and so there is no buffer left.   Certainly
on my system doing NAT across lnc0 and sis0, the system uses 30-40% CPU just
to act as a router!  I still get 600KB/s through it, which I have heard is
fairly reasonable from a 10Mbit ISA network card.

--
Bruce Cran