Re: SMP in 5.1 cant deactivate hyperthreading

From: Killing <killing_at_barrysworld.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:47:28 +0100
>   Well, hyperthreading can be disabled via a kernel directive, right?

>From what I've seen that was removed between 5.0 and 5.1 correct
me if Im wrong.

> > Which ever it needs someone to pick it up ASAP dont you think?
>
>   Really?  What's the hurry?  FreeBSD 5.x isn't even bootable/installable
> on a number of SMP machines yet (ex.  Dell Poweredge 6350).

I suppose the hurry is that basic utils that we use day to day like top
and vmstat to monitor machine load cannot be trusted to give accurate
info.
Yes 5.X is still new tech and may not run on all machines but on the ones
which it does ( and it runs very well here ) basic tools are required. If
it doesn't run on a machine your under know false impressions, if however
you users complain of performance issues and you look _at_ top and it says
50% idle and its really 0% idle its a different matter.

    Steve / K