Re: SMP in 5.1 cant deactivate hyperthreading

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_efn.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:50:11 -0700
Killing wrote this message on Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 18:47 +0100:
> I suppose the hurry is that basic utils that we use day to day like top
> and vmstat to monitor machine load cannot be trusted to give accurate
> info.

Actually, the basic tools ARE correct, there is a cpu sitting idle that
the sysadmin disabled.  So, if the sysadmin would reenable the cpu, then
jobs could be dispatached to it.  Would you rather some junior admin go
and disable the cpu, and then six months later wondering why the
performance is so slow?

> Yes 5.X is still new tech and may not run on all machines but on the ones
> which it does ( and it runs very well here ) basic tools are required. If
> it doesn't run on a machine your under know false impressions, if however
> you users complain of performance issues and you look _at_ top and it says
> 50% idle and its really 0% idle its a different matter.

That's a good way to remind the admin to turn the cpu back on.

Now is there any good reason why you need to keep the cpu disabled?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579