Re: 5.1-CURRENT hangs on disk i/o? sysctl_old_user() non-sleepable locks

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:57:12 -0700 (PDT)
On 16 Jun, Chris Shenton wrote:
> (I don't know if this has any relation to the problems I reported
> yesterday with qmail-send consuming 100% cpu after 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade.)

I doubt it.  I checked in a fix for this problem today so you should get
the fix when you next cvsup.

> After booting 5.1-CURRENT the system runs fine for a while.  Then
> later most disk i/o related actions seem to hang.  E.g., system works
> but when cron kicks off a glimpseindex in the middle of the night, the
> system is useless by the morning.  If I login on the console as me, it
> takes my username and password then hangs (trying to run
> /usr/local/bin/bash?). If I do this as root, I do get a shell
> (/bin/csh).  After a point, asking for "top" will hang, even as root.
> Even a "reboot" hung this morning with nothing in the logs.

Can you break into ddb and do a ps to find out what state all the
processes are in?  You might want to try adding the DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS
options to your kernel config to see if that turns up anything.  There
is also ddb command to list the locked vnodes "show lockedvnods".

Are you using nullfs or unionfs which are a bit fragile?

> The system has become almost unusable because of this, requiring
> frequent reboots or hardware resets.
>
> Sometimes when I do something as simple as "ps" I see this ominous
> message on the console:
>
>   sysctl_old_user() with the following non-sleepablelocks held:
>   exclusive sleep mutex process lock r = 0 (0xc50bc9e0) locked _at_ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_proc.c:258
>
> which gets into /var/log/messages as:
>
>   Jun 16 08:33:48 PECTOPAH kernel: exclusive sleep mutex process lock r = 0 (0xc50c7618) locked _at_ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_proc.c:258
>
> There are a bunch of these.

I've been seeing this for about the last week, I think.  It seems to be
harmless and nothing bad has happened to my -current box.