Re: 5.1-CURRENT hangs on disk i/o? sysctl_old_user() non-sleepable locks

From: Chris Shenton <chris_at_shenton.org>
Date: 17 Jun 2003 21:34:47 -0400
Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:

> I doubt it.  I checked in a fix for this problem today so you should get
> the fix when you next cvsup.

Yup, many thanks.

> Can you break into ddb and do a ps to find out what state all the
> processes are in?

I'm a newbie to ddb.  Was able to get a ps from a hung system but
didn't know how to capture it to send to you.  Any hints?

> You might want to try adding the DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS options to your
> kernel config to see if that turns up anything.

Oh, man, I'm getting killed here now. Rebuilt the kernel with that
option (not found in GENERIC or other examples in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/).

Now the system is dropping into ddb ever minute or so with complaints
like the following on the screen, and in /var/log/messages:

Jun 17 21:06:08 PECTOPAH kernel: VOP_GETVOBJECT: 0xc584eb68 is not locked but should be
Jun 17 21:08:04 PECTOPAH last message repeated 3 times
Jun 17 21:18:55 PECTOPAH kernel: VOP_GETVOBJECT: 0xc59346d8 is not locked but should be
Jun 17 21:18:59 PECTOPAH last message repeated 5 times

Lots 'n' lots of 'em, with a few of the same hex value then another
set for a different hex value.

> There is also ddb command to list the locked vnodes "show
> lockedvnods".

After I type "cont" at ddb a few times the system runs for a while
again, only to repeat.  When it drops to ddb again that show command
doesn't list anything.

I may have to remove that option from my kernel just to get to run a
bit, even tho eventually the system will hang.  It's (of course) my
main box which the other systems NFS off, mail server, etc. :-(

> Are you using nullfs or unionfs which are a bit fragile?

Nope.  I'd be happy to mail you my kernel config if you want. I've
posted it to http://chris.shenton.org/PECTOPAH but if the system's
hung again, naturally it won't be available :-(

Thanks for your help.  Any other things I might try?

Dunno if this matters, but I'm using an DELL CERC ATA RAID card with
disks showing up as amrd* if that matters.  Was flawless at
5.0-{CURRENT,RELEASE}.