Re: __thread support in -current..

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:45:45 -0700
On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:34:15PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Ok, so having thrashed out what is required on the threads list
> (and severely strained (but hopefully not permanently) our relations
> with the OpenGL folks) we've figured out that we do need to support
> __thread (if we don't we'll miss out on  alot).
>
> I have basicaly worked out what we need to do
> (Generarlly we do the same as solaris does) to support this..
> The question is, what do we need to do for gcc and the loader
> to support this..?
>
> I guess the support is in gcc as Linux and solaris use it, but
> is our linker close enough to what they use to be able to benefit at all
> from them?

>From my posting to threads_at_:

\begin{quote}
... To support the __thread
keyword, our thread library needs to create the TLS as defined in the
binary and its dependent shared libraries by virtue of the .tdata and
.tbss sections/segments, based on the image of the TLS as constructed
by the RTLD for the initial set of modules (created for the initial
thread) and amended by TLS space defined in the dynamicly loaded
libraries; and the TLS has to be created for every new thread at the
time the thread itself is created. This TLS allocation has to be made
accessable in accordance with runtime specifications for the supported
architectures (libthr: i386 & ia64; libkse: i386 currently -- more to
follow) and in line with the access sequences created by the compiler,
and using the static relocations known to the static linker and dynamic
relocations of which the support needs to be added to RTLD.

The static TLS model requires the least amount of work: add support
to allocate the TLS image for every thread creation and point the
thread pointer to it in a way compatible with the runtime spec.

The dynamic TLS model requires more substantial changes and involves
RTLD as well. This is the model that requires __tls_get_addr().
\end{quote}

HTH,

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net