ACPI suspending.

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_velocet.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:57:32 -0400
I have a Dell D800 laptop (as I've mentioned a few times here) and
I've gone so far as to upgrade the BIOS to A03 and fetch new ACPI DSDT
code from the linux site.

Before fetching the code, most ACPI functions were broken
... including the amount of battery remaining.

After updating, most functions are fixed ... the battery interface is
picking up the batteries and the expected runtime and the 'S1' suspend
appears to be working correctly.

The 'S1' suspend is where the processor clock is halted.  I assume
that other things turn off ... but the laptop still generates enough
heat to need it's fan ... especially if I try to put it in my laptop
bag.

What I'd like to know is how much work (and possibly pointers to where
I'd look) to fix the S3 level suspension.

S3 is suppsoed to only leave RAM power on ... which makes it sound an
awful lot like the APM suspend I was used to on my last laptop.

Is this a matter of fixing some more of the DSDT ... or is there some
grovelling in the FreeBSD code that's appropriate?  Is someone already
working on this?

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert_at_velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |