Re: ACPI: LCD

From: Cliff L. Biffle <cbiffle_at_safety.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:24:52 -0700
On Wednesday 18 June 2003 09:42 am, Sebastian Yepes [ESN] wrote:
> Any one know how to turn off the screen on a notebook
> i mean totally off, Not the dpms
>
> The problem is that when i close the lid it stays on and produces to much
> heat..

It varies from notebook to notebook.  For example, on my Satellite 1605, I can
find no way to do this through ACPI, DPMS, or any other means.  On my
Pavilion N5290 running Gentoo, there's a kernel module that handles it by
twinking hardware registers.

The Inspiron 8500 is a Compal machine if I remember correctly, and there's a
very slight possibility that some of the utilities intended for other Compal
distributors (Compaq, HP, Toshiba) might work.  (The Linux omnibook kernel
module works on two of my machines, both Compals, only one an HP.)

You might get more information on this from the freebsd-mobile list, also.

-Cliff L. Biffle