Re: APM problem in 5.1-RELEASE

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:14:56 -0700
One thing that jumps out at me on my T30 is that when I issue the S3,
the disk spins down instantly. Under APM it takes several seconds and
under Windows XP it also pauses bor a few (maybe 4) seconds.

I suspect it is powering down the disk as soon as the S3 is issued and
the write cache is never given an opportunity to flush. This may well
lead to resume getting into some really bad state regarding the disk.

On my system, this has led to corruption, at least. (I, perhaps
foolishly, run softupdate with write cache enebled.on my laptop. After
all, it is not likely to lose power unexpectedly.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)