ACPI issues on ThinkPad T21 + Dock

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:33:41 +0200
Hello all!

I've been tinkering with 5.1 (-current) for a while now, ever since it
was released. I checked out code and recompiled my kernel as late as
yesterday evening. Since the install, I have encountered a few problems
that I'd like to discuss:

- When my machine is docked, I *have to* enable ACPI, otherwise it will
not boot past 'Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a' (and the following
WARNING about / not being unmounted cleanly, if the next point happened
to be true)

- When booted with ACPI enabled (docked), the machine will at some point
simply power itself off. I have seen people complaining about similiar
machines powering themselves *on* after a power-off, but in my case it's
the opposite. Out of nothing, with no warning (that I can see), it
simply powers off. It's not suspend either, or hibernation or anything.

- I have not been able to reproduce any of these problems while the
machine is undocked. In fact, it seems to work pretty well both on
battery power and while plugged in - it's only while it's docked I'm
having these problems. They are consistent and effectively keep me from
using the computer while docked.

If anyone wants to look more into this, I'll be happy to provide
whatever information is necessary. Please let me know. The system is
running at the latest firmware level. There are no 'firmwares' for the
docking station, so there is nothing I can do there.

/Eirik Oeverby