FeeBSD 5.1 and localdaemons

From: Darin <derwood_at_naebunny.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:33:48 -0400
Hello,
   This is my first try at FreeBSD.
I've been able to get the install completed and that seems fine. I started
compiling ports in and have discovered a problem.  I compiled in ProFTPD and
MySQL along with all their dependencies and found that they were not
starting up when the box would boot up. I've checked /usr/local/etc/rc.d and
can see the scripts there for proftpd and mysql.  I checked the
/etc/defaults/rc.conf and the path for local_startup is set to
/usr/local/etc/rc.d The execute bit is set for all the startup scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d also.. I tried turning on the rc_debug option so that I
could see what happened in the dmesg. And I can see the following from dmesg
-a output:

/etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: evaluating local_start().
Starting local daemons:
.

But, the ProFTPD and MySQL still wont start..
I did some digging in the scripts in /etc/rc.d and found the local and
localdaemons scripts.. After playing around a bit, I found that the
localdaemons script is actually what executes the local scripts.. But for
whatever reason, local is not starting localdaemons. I can start both
daemons manually by running their scripts manually, so theres no problem
that I can see with the installation.. I tried adding a line to the
/etc/rc.d/local script that called the localdaemons script.. When I
rebooted, MySQL and ProFTPD start fine during boot.. Anyone have any ideas
on this one??

Darin -