Re: cardbus and xircom ethernet problem

From: Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd_at_fishballoon.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:22:11 +0100
On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 09:00:35AM +0100, Matt wrote:

> M. Warner Losh said:
> >
> > This means that there are problems reading the CIS.
>
> Any idea how I can go about trying to get it working? I have never used a
> laptop with freebsd before and obviously it just "works" in windows so I'm
> not even aware of what a "CIS" is. I've tried all the stuff mentioned in
> the archives such as hw.cbb.start_memory=(tried various things here), and
> hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1 as this seems to be the most common
> problem but it hasn't made a difference.
>
> So is there anything else I can do? Or is it simply a case that this
> hardware does not work under fbsd?

Well, the card itself is supported by the xe driver, but the errors you're
seeing are coming from the generic cardbus/pccard code.  I'm not sure it's
even getting as far as deciding to use the xe driver for the card...

Can you try another card in this machine?  It will probably throw up the
same error, but it's worth trying if you can.

You could also try adding the following lines to /boot/loader.conf to get
some extra debug output:

hw.cbb.debug=1
hw.cardbus.debug=1
hw.cardbus.cis_debug=1
hw.pccard.debug=1
hw.pccard.cis_debug=1

You'll have to reboot for those to take effect.  Probably also worth
booting in verbose mode (hit space when the 'boot countdown' starts, then
type 'boot -v').

That said, the CEM56 is a slightly odd beast that needs special handling to
enable the Ethernet part (a straightforward walk through the CIS would lead
you to believe it's a modem-only card).  I haven't been able to test the xe
driver on a NEWCARD machine yet, so I have no idea how well it works, if at
all.  I suppose you could try booting the OLDCARD kernel on your laptop,
but it might barf on the Cardbus controller.

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon