Re: world build fails since yesterday

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:23:53 +0200
Hi,

> My suspicion is that there are problems with current (as well with
> 5.1 and probably 5.0) with power management that will result in
> overheating, which will then look like a hardware problem.

YES!!! Finally someone seeing something that could explain my problems!!

My machine, after installing 5.1, constantly powered itself OFF while
doing buildworld. It could do so during other times aswell, but doing a
buildworld would be 100% certain (in the 10-15 cases I tried) to cause
my laptop (a T21) to power down.
However, this would only happen while in the docking station. Now that
I've checked a bit further, it seems as if it's overheating - I've never
had a problem carrying my laptop before, but after a power-down like
that I was not able to touch it except around the edge and at the far
end of where the CPU is located. Very disturbing.
Now even more disturbing is this: In the docking station, -CURRENT
*ONLY* works with ACPI enabled. If I disable ACPI, it won't even mount /
- it hangs while trying.

I'm suspecting that ACPI keeps my CPU fan from spinnning up or spinning
fast enough - and I didn't even know ACPI could control that on my
particular notebook.

Buildworld with ACPI disabled is never a problem.

/Eirik