Re: 3D graphic cards

From: Andy Sparrow <spadger_at_best.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:13:45 -0700
> > You might want to try the Gatos drivers from http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ .
> > With this driver, I got the ATi chipset in my laptop working with Xv support.
>
> I've just visited the page. Looks promising, indeed, but I'm a bit puzzled. One binary release for FreeBSD _and_ Linux?

Yes, and most other Intel x86-based OS's. The X server contains support
for on-demand, OS- and even binary-format independent module loading.

See:

	http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/DESIGN17.html#65

The GATOS binary drivers (originally compiled for Linux) have been
working for me on my ATI-based laptop for a long time (multiple
versions, natch), never a problem. I'm told they compile fine, but I've
never bothered.

Cheers,

AS