Re: 3D graphic cards

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:27:21 -0700
> Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:13:45 -0700
> From: Andy Sparrow <spadger_at_best.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> --==_Exmh_-1760729268P
>

> > > You might want to try the Gatos drivers from http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ .
> > > With this driver, I got the ATi chipset in my laptop working with Xv support.
> >
> > I've just visited the page. Looks promising, indeed, but I'm a bit puzzled. One binary release for FreeBSD _and_ Linux?
>
> Yes, and most other Intel x86-based OS's. The X server contains support
> for on-demand, OS- and even binary-format independent module loading.
>
> See:
>
> 	http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/DESIGN17.html#65
>
> The GATOS binary drivers (originally compiled for Linux) have been
> working for me on my ATI-based laptop for a long time (multiple
> versions, natch), never a problem. I'm told they compile fine, but I've
> never bothered.

I thought most of the GATOS stuff had been merged into 4.3. At least I
have had no problems with Xv on my Radeon 7000 with XFree86 4.3.0 and
I seem to recall that support was claimed for all Radeons except,
perhaps the 9500.

Before the 4.3.0 release, I ran the radeon and ati drivers built from
CVS on a Linux system. (At least until the API changed.) XFree86
drivers for x86 processors should be OS independent. This was some
really cool work by the XFree86 folks.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)