gdb: apropos core dump

From: Galen Sampson <galen_sampson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,

I was recently playing around with gdb.  I do not use it much but I found that
it had an apropos command.  I hoped that apropos would make it quicker for me
to find information about gdb's commands so I wouldn't have to go hunting in
info.  Turns out there is a bug in gdb on current where apropos causes gdb to
dump core.  I did not build my gdb with debugging symbols but the problem can
be reproduced easily:

Script started on Sat Jun 28 18:38:10 2003
[101] galen_at_andromeda:~> gdb
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-undermydesk-freebsd".
(gdb) apropos
REGEXP string is empty
(gdb) apropos foo
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[102] galen_at_andromeda:~> exit
exit

Script done on Sat Jun 28 18:38:23 2003

As you can see from the output the core dump only happens when a string is
entered.  This is from a world build from sources dated 6/28/03, but I also
noticed it on a world from a week ago.

regards,
Galen Sampson