Re: several background fsck panics

From: Matthias Schuendehuette <msch_at_snafu.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:48:49 +0100
Terry Lambert wrote:

> The issue with the repeating background fsck's is important.
> I suggest a counter that gets reset to zero each time the
> FS is marked clean by fsck, and incremented each time the
> background fsck process is started.

> When this counter reaches a predefined value (I sugest a
> command line option to background fsck, which defaults to
> "3", if left unspecified), then the fsck is automatically
> converted to a foreground fsck.

> This counter would be recorded in the superblock.

This sounds like a good idea! I vote for a counter of "2"... :-)

Also I suggest to mention as clearly as possible, that operating Soft
Updates with Write Cache enabled is kind of 'out of specs'. This cannot
work when crashing! (As you stated clearly!) So I'm also voting for 'WC
disable' for any kind of disks. SCSI-disks don't need it because of
Tagged Queuing and only those ATA-Disks that *have* TQ can/should be
operated 'the fast way' - hoping that Soeren gets it working again...
:-/
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)