Re: several background fsck panics

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:05:05 -0800
Thus spake Alexander Langer <alex_at_big.endian.de>:
> I had several panics related to background fsck now.  Once I disabled
> background fsck, all went ok.
>
> It began when I pressed the reset buttons on several boots while the
> system was still doing fscks.
[...]
> Mar 24 21:48:59 fump kernel: panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir

You would have gotten this one without bgfsck as well the next
time you tried to look the offending directory.  Background fsck
only expedited the panic by reading all the directories on the
system in order to perform its checks.  Basically, the panic is
the kernel's way of telling you that something is unexpectedly
wrong with the filesystem (due in this case to ATA write caching),
and that it is going to give up rather than risk causing further
damage.  UFS, as well as most other filesystems, are not designed
to tolerate failures on the part of the hardware to honor its
guarantees, so it's hard to do better without inventing a new
filesystem.