RE: Floppy Support

From: Bill Vermillion <bv_at_wjv.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 22:30:54 -0400
> Message: 9
> Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 11:34:57 -0500
> From: Peter Schultz <peter_at_jocose.org>
> Subject: Floppy Support

> Is floppy support a bad crutch for FreeBSD? With the constant
> fight to squeeze data onto the floppies and CD burners selling
> for as low as $30, one would think so.

> I was a fan of the floppies until it became impossible to
> use them with JPSNAPs. It would be good to have basic fixit
> floppies I think, but the install flops should be retired.
> They were brilliant for their time, but I think those days are
> behind us.

> How many people are still doing floppy installs, is there any idea?

I have serveral 1RU rackmount machines in a colo.   There are no
CD's in them - and no space for them.

Front has 3 or 4 fans along with the slot for the floppy - and
there just is no room to put in a CD in these designs.  The
machines are pretty packed as it is.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv _at_ wjv . com