Re: Floppy Support

From: Cliff L. Biffle <cbiffle_at_safety.net>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 15:09:19 -0700
On Saturday 03 May 2003 06:16 am, Duraid Madina wrote:
> Can anyone give a *good* reason why floppies should still be supported
> from this point onwards?

1. El Torito.  Last I checked, under emulation, 2.88MB was the largest boot
image available, so fitting the bootloader/kernel/etc. onto two floppies is
still quite significant.  I've only run across one machine that could
competently handle non-emulated CD booting.
2. Servers without CDROM drives.  As another poster mentioned, 1U rack or
clustering servers frequently don't have CDROMs.  I know mine don't.

I'm still confused as to why the $CVS$ tags are going into the kernel on the
floppies, but that strikes me as minor. :-)

-Cliff L. Biffle