Re: Floppy Support

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 19:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
On  3 May, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Matthias Buelow wrote:
>> I might also add that there are probably quite a few of us
>> who've always been using scsi cdroms, also to keep the machine
>> ide-free... and that pc bioses often have extreme trouble booting
>> from scsi cdroms, if at all (I've never seen a PC myself where
>> this worked), so the only option is floppies, or netboot.
>
> You need to buy Adaptec controllers; they can boot CDROMs.

Yup, but when I tried to go floppy-less in my newest machine, I found
that it couldn't boot from the CDROM without a floppy drive being
physically installed in the box.  Without an actual floppy drive, the
BIOS would barf unless I disabled the floppy in the BIOS configuration.
When I did that, it also disabled booting from the emulated floppy image
on the CDROM :-(

Other than that, I haven't had problems booting from SCSI CDROM on those
machines that actually have CDROM drives.