Re: Floppy Support

From: Bill Vermillion <bv_at_wjv.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 00:08:04 -0400
> 	freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org

> From: Duraid Madina <duraid_at_octopus.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Floppy Support

> Are you saying that you would be honestly upset or at a serious
> disadvantage if 4.8/5.0-rel were the latest releases you could
> install from floppies and that if you wanted a more recent
> FreeBSD on your 1996 hardware, you'd have to install 4.8 or 5
> first and upgrade your way up?

Well I'd hate to have to replace my 2000/2001 Inter 1100R
1RU rackmount servers we use in the cololations facility.
P3's surely aren't 1996 hardware.  No reason to have to put a space
hogging CD-ROM in something where it would only be used for
install.  I can boot from floppy and install from ftp in a short
time since the machines are on 1GB links into a 10GB global
network.   Space is at a premium considering how much it costs to
rent a rack.

The 2RU servers do have CD-ROMS in them - and I'd surely like not
to have to put in PXE cards to be able to load the 1RUs from the
2RUs..

> End of freebsd-current Digest, Vol 6, Issue 19

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv _at_ wjv . com