SV: Floppy Support

From: Matt Douhan <matt_at_hasta.se>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 09:23:33 +0200
> I've only run across one machine that could
> competently handle non-emulated CD booting.

Time to update those 486s. The El Torito spec is dated January 1995, you
know. ;)

> 2. Servers without CDROM drives.  As another poster mentioned, 1U rack or
> clustering servers frequently don't have CDROMs.  I know mine don't.

Fine. PXE boot. What sort of sick f!#ker adds a floppy but leaves a CD
out, anyway? And if you're missing both, surely it's somewhat less
painful to walk around with a USB CDROM drive than to walk around with a
pair of boot floppies?

Hi

We currently deply a large number of FBSD servers in a clustered
environment, and let me tell you we never ever install CD roms in those
machines, they are packed as is, we chose to use FBSD since we could just
boot from the floppy and install from our own snapshots.se.freebsd.org
server without hassle and with incredible speed.

Removing floppy support would be VERY bad IMHO

Matt Douhan
SysAdmin fruitsalad.org & Hasta AB