Re: Floppy Support

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 12:42:55 -0700
"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> In message: <20030504044927.GA13584_at_pit.databus.com>
>             Barney Wolff <barney_at_pit.databus.com> writes:
> : Question for the sysinstall gurus:  Is there any necessary relation
> : between the kernel version that is booted from the floppy and the
> : system version that is being installed?  That is, could one boot
> : a 5.0-R floppy and then tell sysinstall to install a snapshot?  It
> : would make the whole problem moot, if so.
>
> Yes.  I've done this in the past.

Me too.  I've also shot my foot off with it, when perl left
the base system, and you had to explicitly install it, only
it wasn't an option in the hard-coded menus in the older
sysinstall.

As a general rule of thumb, try to keep them matched.

Also note that if you are running "upgrade", and have not
booted from the install media, you will need to manually
update your boot blocks, if the boot blocks have changed
on you, and maybe /etc/pam.conf (got locked out of a remote
server when the ssh stuff changed default keys).

-- Terry