Re: Floppy Support

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:24:54 +0200
On Sun, 4 May 2003 21:03, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> > Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > You need to buy Adaptec controllers; they can boot CDROMs.
> >
> > yeah.. the Controller exchange drive A with your cdrom. So it looks like
> > your cd-rom is a floppy drive and you can boot from. But when you are in
> > sysinstall. You can't choose install from cd-rom - because you don't have
> > a cdrom... just a floppy... you see how fscking this is?
>
> Never had that problem with my AHA1742 and my Toshiba CDROM...
> like I said before: you need to buy a different controller.

The only way I could see it being a problem is if the kernel used the BIOS to
talk to the disk, and it doesn't...

And as you say, buy decent controller cards :)

Also, Adaptec cards don't necessarily have a BIOS on them..
(Low end narrow SCSI ones in particular)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5