Re: Floppy Support

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:22:04 +0200
On Sun, 4 May 2003 20:42, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> I suppose it's time to modify the boot loader to
> load a single kernel image from multiple floppies.
> That, at least, would end the continual release
> breakage: the release builder could just create
> as many floppy images as necessary.
>
> I remember the single-floppy installer; I foresee
> the 10-floppy installer coming very quickly. ;-)

Or use modules..
The vast majority of drivers are loadable as modules. It would be feasible to
standardise the PCI ID tables of drivers and then generate a list from it
which you can use to load modules for cards you find.

Even now you can load arbitary kernel modules in sysinstall without too much
hassle. (There is a sysinstall menu for it - I have a patch to this to read
description files too :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5