Re: Floppy Support

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 06:22:03 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <200305051222.05046.doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
            "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> writes:
: On Sun, 4 May 2003 20:42, Tim Kientzle wrote:
: > I suppose it's time to modify the boot loader to
: > load a single kernel image from multiple floppies.
: > That, at least, would end the continual release
: > breakage: the release builder could just create
: > as many floppy images as necessary.
: >
: > I remember the single-floppy installer; I foresee
: > the 10-floppy installer coming very quickly. ;-)
:
: Or use modules..
: The vast majority of drivers are loadable as modules. It would be feasible to
: standardise the PCI ID tables of drivers and then generate a list from it
: which you can use to load modules for cards you find.

There's more than just pci ID.  Also, there are a couple of drivers
that don't base their decision on the pci id, but other things in the
headers to attach to all devices of a certain class.  This makes
autoloading a little harder.

: Even now you can load arbitary kernel modules in sysinstall without too much
: hassle. (There is a sysinstall menu for it - I have a patch to this to read
: description files too :)

devd can do this too.

Warner