Re: Floppy Support

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_acm.org>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 11:42:49 -0700
Barney Wolff wrote:

> Question for the sysinstall gurus:  Is there any necessary relation
> between the kernel version that is booted from the floppy and the
> system version that is being installed?  That is, could one boot
> a 5.0-R floppy and then tell sysinstall to install a snapshot?  It
> would make the whole problem moot, if so.

Unfortunately, this doesn't make the problem moot.  A very
new system might have a disk controller, for
instance, that's only supported by the newest
kernel.  In that case, an old boot floppy
wouldn't work.

I suppose it's time to modify the boot loader to
load a single kernel image from multiple floppies.
That, at least, would end the continual release
breakage: the release builder could just create
as many floppy images as necessary.

I remember the single-floppy installer; I foresee
the 10-floppy installer coming very quickly. ;-)

Tim Kientzle