Re: HEADS UP! Kerberos5/Heimdal now default!

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: 05 May 2003 14:51:06 -0500
On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 13:13, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> Please send a bug report to the port maintainer ... the port is broken
> if you cannot build it with a different Kerberos implementation.

I don't remember which port it was that was giving me trouble -- it was
a long time ago and I've since just never installed the krb5
distribution set.  They might even be fixed by now.

The Postgresql port has given me trouble from time to time with MIT
KRB5, but I think it was broken for the base system KRB5 as well.  After
some discussion with the port maintainer I believe that it's been fixed
for the moment.  I also had to complain a little to get the pam_krb5
port resurrected since the one in the base doesn't work with the krb5
port :)

Also, even if the ports compile using the right libraries, it still
doesn't solve the problem of there being two different binaries for
kinit, kadmin, etc...  Putting /usr/local/bin in the path first helps on
this problem, but I've encountered problems in the past with doing this
and other programs with the same name.

Hmmm, perhaps as it seems that I may be the only person using MIT KRB5
on FreeBSD, I should just bite the bullet and look into using the
integrated Heimdal stuff.  I really like the ease of upgrading the port,
though...

Craig