Re: recent performance problems?

From: Munish Chopra <mchopra_at_engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 22:54:48 -0400
On 2003-05-06 22:26 +0000, W. Josephson wrote:
> I recently cvsup'd (yesterday afternoon EDT) and again this morning.
> I'm seeing a major decrease in performance and wondering if anyone
> else is seeing the same.  Compiliation and interactive X11 use seems
> to be very slow (long times to compile individual files and to repaint
> windows) as compared to -CURRENT as of about two weeks ago.  In fact,
> it took all afternoon and early evening to build world and the kernel.
> The only obvious things were ACPI complaining about zero-length
> allocations, new problems assigning interrupts at boot time, and a
> reported clock rate about one third of what it is and what the kernel
> has reported in the past.  ACPI has never really worked quite right
> for me anyway on this machine (a Dell Inspiron 4000), so I doubt that
> is the problem and the message about sio1 is nothing new; 4.x said the
> same thing.  It feels a lot like I'm losing interrupts, but I haven't
> had a chance to do much poking around and nothing has changed
> (hardware or bios) in a year.  Trimmed boot messages follow...

I see the same thing. I'd been running -CURRENT on this box for around
18 months, and decided to reinstall with a fresh JPSNAP (20030506) this
morning, since things had gotten messy.

Even after a full rebuild of world/kernel, things are quite slow and
unresponsive. No fancy flags or anything passed to GCC. I also see the
ACPI complaints in dmesg.

My last world/kernel was from April 20, at which point performance was
quite decent (relative to other points in the 5.x series).

--
Munish Chopra