Re: recent performance problems?

From: Cliff L. Biffle <cbiffle_at_safety.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 05:05:41 -0700
On Tuesday 06 May 2003 10:46 pm, W. Josephson wrote:
> I wouldn't notice a difference of 10-25% given my current
> usage pattern on the laptop -- we're talking a factor of three or so
> in the time to build world (~6 hrs on a 900MHz PIII with 5400RPM
> disk); opening a new xterm in X11 now takes a second or so.  I'm in
> the process of building a new kernel and am going to try locking the
> CPU into high performance mode.  That hasn't been necessary in the
> past with either -STABLE or any version of -CURRENT, but the low clock
> rate reported when the kernel boots is suspicious.

The numbers you report for buildworld time are roughly on par for my 233mhz
box here, on a good day.  It's a kick-off-the-build, leave-for-work,
come-back-after-dinner sort of box. :-)  But my point is, that reported speed
might not be so far off, for whatever reason.

I couldn't tell from your dmesg if you're using ACPI.  If not, does enabling
it (on a recent -current) help?  I've been running into strange situations
with CPU throttling on my machines here, though a throttled CPU still reports
the right speed for me....

-Cliff L. Biffle