Succes! [was: IBM T30 problems with fxp0, sound and acpi/mouse]

From: Hans Lambermont <hans_at_lambermont.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 11:37:38 +0200
Lee Damon wrote:

>> From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman_at_es.net>
>>> From: hans_at_lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
>>> IBM T30 problems with fxp0, sound and acpi/mouse.
>>> I upgraded to 5.0 from -stable and am now trying to upgrade to -head.
>>> I'm testing with the GENERIC kernel and stumble into the following
>>> problems:
>>> Using fxp0 causes timeouts on -head (works fine on 5.0-RELEASE-p7).
>>
>> There has been a lot of work on the fxp driver over the past couple of
>> weeks. It's working for my with a kernel built from sources I cvsuped
>> yesterday morning. This is a problem lots of people have
>> reported. Hopefully fixed.
>
> I did a CVSup about 4 hours ago, still have fxp0 timeouts on my T30.

Yay :o) While digging through NOTES I found a useful fxp0 hint for
/boot/device.hints :

# help fxp0 :
hint.fxp.0.prefer_iomap="1"

Without this 5.1-BETA as of Wed May 7 11:04:12 CEST 2003 fxp0 still
times out. With it fxp0 works fine :)

>> My T30 is not a maestro3. It's an ICH/AD1881A.

Whoops ! I appear to have some leftover config options from my HP
Omnibook ... (/me starts cleaning now)

>> You need devices ichsmb, smbus, smb, and pcm. I have never tried

Thanks for the tip :) I now have a working pcm0 :
cat /dev/sndstat
pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3)> at io 0x1c00, 0x18c0 irq 11 bufsz 16384 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

>>> Enabling ACPI disables the mouse. Without ACPI the mouse works fine:
>
> I've gotten everything working under ACPI except the battery life
> indicator.  Since I kind of need that, I went back to APM.

Pity that you lost your ACPI changes.  APM works fine for me too.

>> Use apm. It works quite well, although you will need ps2 (available as a
>> floppy image from the IBM web site) to configure it.
>
> I didn't need it.  Hmm.

Neither did I.

>> Finally, remove "device eisa" from your kernel. It can cause weird
>> behavior on the T30.

Already had that.

Next stop: bluetooth tests :o)

Hans Lambermont