Re: 5.0-current kernel (May 4) devfs not picking up slices from 4-STABLE disk

From: Mark Blackman <mark_at_blackmans.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:21:02 +0100
On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 08:46 PM, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> On 2003.05.05 18:20:53 +0100, Mark Blackman wrote:
>
>> 'Root mount failed: 22'
> [CUT]
>> any ideas or suggestions for fixing this out there?
>
> I think you just hit -CURRENT at a bad time. Try updateing your
> -CURRENT
> sources, rebuild and try again.

A new compile sorted that out, but exposed a couple of other problems

* something about the second install attempt buggered some of the
include files (unistd.h for one)
for the 4-stable gcc compiler and even make installworld needs a
compiler, and
so I had to resort to a binary install from the 5.0-RELEASE CD to get a
working
compiler.

* saslauthd (built under 4-STABLE) couldn't find a symbol in
libpam.so.2 called _xuname
(or something like), so I had to rebuild that (and cyrus-imap)

* finally, the ADSL USB speedtouch modem drivers just don't work under
5-current
as they seem to do something untoward to the ugen device drivers that
generate a
panic (deliberately to catch out dodgy device drivers I believe). I've
resorted to
using an external device (vigor2200 USB ADSL router) to get net
connectivity.

To me, it looks 5-current is a fine system, but I suspect src-level
upgrades from 4-stable
are going to continue to be quite a bugbear. To summarize, I got to
where I wanted to
be, but it was a bit bumpy.

thanks for all the help.

Cheers,