Re: HEADS UP: bzip2(1) compression for manpages, Groff and Texinfo docs

From: Narvi <narvi_at_haldjas.folklore.ee>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 22:49:16 +0300 (EEST)
On Wed, 7 May 2003, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Narvi writes:
>
> >Really - except for a very limited set of streaming applications with hard
> >latency rules, going away from gzip to a BWT based compressors is a Very
> >Good Thing (tm).
>
> for things like manpages and texinfo-files, even compress(1) would be
> more than sufficient, if it weren't for license issues (but then again,
> compress is still included, so what.)  And it surely is a lot faster,
> especially than bzip2.

I definately don't agree on texinfo files - these aren't all that small.
For example, the sizes of gcc.info.gz vs gcc.info.bz2 are:

	306122 May  7 22:40 gcc.info.bz2
	400320 May  7 22:41 gcc.info.gz

which is a quite significant difference. I picked the file because of size
and not change of compression ratio, or check all the files (just in case
there are any benchmarking paranoids around). On the speed side, the speed
of bunzip2 only matters if the speed difference between it and gunzip were
user perceptible on even not really up to date at all hardware, which is
not the case AFAICT.