Re: status of devd

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 07:35:57 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20030508222841.GA9038_at_fourtytwo.brucec.backnet>
            Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk> writes:
: I've been trying to get usb and pcmcia devices working recently, and
: rememebered hearing something about a new device manager daemon, devd.
: Looking in rc.conf I saw that usbd is still being enabled, and that devd is
: not only disabled by default but there's no option in sysinstall to enable
: it.   Is devd supposed to replace usbd and pccardd in 5.0, or is it more
: of a longer-term development?   After commenting out the logging section
: of devd.conf I managed to get it running, and it does seem to be working
: properly.

It will likely be turned on by default in 5.2.  Not every daemon in
the system has a sysinstall option (I never use sysinstall, so never
think to add anything to it).  At this point, I consider devd to be
stable and reliable.  The bugs I know about are obscure for most
normal users of devd.

The logging stuff has been commented out in the latest sources too.

Warner